Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Which apostle are you? I got Judas....

It is the Easter season. Arguably the most important season in the Christian faith. Our salvation hinges on the this point in which Christ dies because of what we did and in three days, was raised from the dead to sit in Heaven and to be our advocates. Such a pivotal moment. This Easter, as I sat in church and I listened to the last supper, the Garden of Gethsemane, and the crucifixion and resurrection I identified with someone in the story I had never thought of being like before. That person was Judas. 

For those who may be unfamiliar with Judas, he was one of the disciples of Christ. A friend and a follower. And on that night, he was willing to  betray Christ for some money. It's not like Judas didn't know who Christ was. Maybe he didn't truly believe Christ was who He said he was. It's hard to believe that someone who hung himself because of  what he did, didn't actually believe Christ was Christ. Either way, Judas was willing to betray Him for some gold. This was the point that struck me. That Judas, knowing Christ, was willing to betray him. And this is the part that I sadly related to. 

How often is it that I chose to betray God in my ability to gain things in the hear and now. Part of it is the worldly inability to have any type of delayed gratification. But a larger part for me is the ability to have the control. Maybe that's what it was for Judas too. Maybe, even knowing Christ, he wanted to make sure he had control and was able to take care of things. But what does this look like in my life?

For me, I looked at my life. I think about when I'm at work and the way that I may interact with people. I make sure not to rock the boat or I may compromise how I talk or what I talk to be able to fit it. To make sure that I fit in so I have a better shot at being accepted, maybe move up. Isn't that the same mentality that Judas used? Wasn't he merely compromising his faith to be able to gain more in the here and now? I started to realize how much I compromise things in my life and not just for financial gain. I compromise to gain friends. I compromise to gain status. I compromise to get things I want here and now. 

The weight of that decision haunted Judas to the point of hanging himself. Then we wonder why we feel so empty and why that job promotion or that new tv are such fleeting joy and don't bring real, true happiness. 

Just a thinking point. What are the things we are choosing over Christ? Just made analyze my own life and I hope you take a second to introspectively look at your own. 

As always, email me with questions, concerns, prayer requests. I'm changing my email though. It's mschroc2@gmail.com . If you enjoy my thoughts please share them on social media sites. I'd love for this blog to get some steam but I'm going to keep doing it either way. Even if no one else gets anything from this. Till next time.

Love you all,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment